How can you safely transport a dog on a bicycle? All the solutions
Fed up with the car? Want to change your means of travel? Maybe your dog, just like you, needs to get some fresh air! Cycling (and exercising) with your little (or big) companion is entirely possible! They will be able to ride along with you on daily journeys as well as on your walks, even on mountain bikes. So many opportunities to create amazing memories!
So what are your options? Our favorite to transport a dog is the cargo bike !
Panorama of existing solutions to get around with your favorite animal
Today there are many different product ranges. These are, of course, to be adapted according to your travelling companion; according to your dog’s size, and according to the module that will provide them with the most comfort and safety.
The bike leash
You may know it under the name of Dog’Runner, this is a revolutionary product if you like to combine sport and the outdoors.
The bicycle leash is similar to a classic leash- it attaches to the frame or saddle of the bicycle with velcro-type fasteners. It is the ideal accessory for medium or large dogs that need to exercise and are well trained for walking, or who are learning to walk with a leash.
A gauge allows you to keep a good distance between your pet and the bike to ride safely. You will find various models, at different levels of complexity (for example with harness, with extendable shock absorbers, etc.)
Some variations of this accessory even allow you to do mountain biking with your dog!
- However, this solution will not be ideal if your dog is not ready to run for hours at your side or if they tire easily.
- Depending on your country law, you are sometimes not allowed to ride with your dog at your side in cycling lanes. But in many green spaces and country trails, it is entirely possible!
Don’t worry, we are not short of solutions.
Indeed, you will also be able to find solutions that include bike baskets. Of course, you will be able to find a wide range of this product to transport a dog, which has been on the market for several years now. It can be placed either on the handlebars or on the luggage rack if your bike has one. As you can imagine, it is suitable for smaller dogs; the maximum load is usually between 7kg and 12kg.
What are its advantages?
It can be accessorised:
- You can add a cushion, for example. This will make your basket very easy to clean (and this is a not an insignificant argument when it comes to dogs!).
- It is possible to add accessories to increase safety: a protective shield, a strap for opening and closing…
- Even handles!
Some baskets are adjustable and can therefore be used without your bicycle.
You can find leashes or bike baskets at Trixie, creators of accessories for animals.
The transport trailer is suitable for larger, older or less active dogs. Its loading capacity can go from 20kg to 40kg loads. Simply attach the trailer to the back of your bike, put your dog in it and set off on your adventure!
Some models are foldable, have safety nets, short leashes (so your dog doesn’t jump out of the trailer), storage pockets, etc.
Image from Trixie.
Image from Trixie.
Cargo solutions: simple and safe option for transporting your pets
But as you may already know, at AddBike we prefer cargo bikes to transport a dog.
If you still don’t know what a cargo bike is or if you need more information about its models, we explain everything here.
And yes, contrary to popular belief, cargo bikes are not just for delivery or for parents with young children. The cargo market is exploding and so is the creation of solutions! Unlike with trailers, the transport box is inseparable from the bike.
Many solutions for dogs are starting to appear. More or less qualitative, complex, safe, there is something for everyone! One of the greatest advantages of these solutions is that they make it possible to transport a large dog on board a bike with real comfort. You will find them in classic or electric versions with different functionalities so that your dog can get on and off easily… Certainly the cargo solution is a bigger investment but a more adapted and complete solution.
You will find :
- The three-wheeled bike: there are even solutions for transporting your dog and children!
- And the two-wheeled bike
In fact, the main problem with these products is that they are quite large and sometimes poorly adapted to urban traffic. It is therefore difficult to ride them in the city on a daily basis.
It is for these reasons and by listening to your needs that AddBike has developed a product especially for our furry friends: the Carry’Dog module.
The AddBike+ replaces the front wheel of your bike and turns it into a compact and dynamic cargo bike. This in a few minutes and in a reversible way! This accessory has been developed in such a way that it fits between your apartment doors as it has a compact width (68cm). Its patented pendulum system makes it easy to tilt the wheels so that your turns are made with more stability, even when you are carrying loads!
This product has been developed according to two major values that are important to us; safety and comfort.
Some of its characteristics :
- It is adapted to dogs with maximum seated heights of 1m20 with maximum weights of 35kg.
- Has a harness attachment point which allows the dog to be well secured and to avoid possible exits from the module while on rides.
- We have installed a removable anti-slip mat, the Comfy-Cozy, which is very easy to remove and clean because we know that dogs like to get dirty!
- We have, of course, included storage pockets to store their toys and accessories.
- The Rain-Blocker is a removable cover that is waterproof so that you can transport your dog covered or in the open air.
- The textile has been chosen specifically for its high quality, UV resistance, and its resistance to moderate rain.
- We have, of course, integrated side reflectors for greater visibility and therefore safety.
- It is equipped with Shock-Resist: a rigid metal frame.
- Your dog will be able to sit or even lie down.
- AddBike has also developed a foldable water bowl for drinking anywhere, anytime!
- And don’t forget our legally compliant ventilation system so that even with the cover closed, your dog will be comfortable!
You’ll see how much dogs love riding at the front of the bike.
Small bonus: Our customers have in fact even tested and approved long rides with their cats!
If you need more advice or have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +33478599876. We show you all this in our demonstration video: here.
However, as is often recommended, cargo bikes do require some time to adapt to riding. And, of course, your dog has to get used to it too.
How do you transport your dog by cargo bike?
Once the right equipment for your dog has been chosen, it will be necessary to think about the appropriate training practices. Your goal: travel in maximum safety!
Basic training is recommended.
But don’t worry, this training is quite easy. If you regularly train your dog for lower risk activities, everything will be fine, you don’t even need a guide!
We advise you:
- first of all to train your dog to get in and out of the module (treats will always help).
- to start riding the bike slowly in a straight line once they are comfortable sitting in the module,
- to make turns little by little. Practice with “obstacles” so that he is prepared for these eventualities.
- to start adventuring on short journeys.
- finally, pedal in everyday life, and off you go!
An exercise that we discovered and that made an impression on us.
Train your dog by teaching them their right and left. Place an obstacle in front of them on the left or right. Throw their favourite toy to one side and then to the other. It will then be easier for them to understand directions.
In a nutshell,
Riding with your best friend on your bike is entirely possible. It’s a good way to spend time together during rides or daily journeys. There is something for every taste, size and physical condition.
For us, it’s cargo!
And what would you choose?